Sunday, November 14, 2010

Commencement Address 2000 Marshall School of Business

Certain extracts here, to avoid reproducing it in entirety.

I don't agree with most of the points, and obviously, Steve Jobs took a few leafs from this speech. 

My view is that given everyone is at the same intellectual capacity and works equally hard, then its 100% luck.


Commencement Address

May 12, 2000, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California

© David Bohnett, May, 2000. Not to be reproduced without permission


A Bachelor of Science degree in business from USC says a lot about you. It says that you can read a financial statement, develop a marketing and promotional plan for a new business or product, create spreadsheets, analyze the competition, and design an e-commerce Web site. But I learned very early in my career that having those skills alone doesn't guarantee success in the business world. Furthermore, if you do master the art of business, climb the ladder of responsibility, and reap financial rewards, none of that necessarily leads to happiness, or to personal growth and satisfaction.

My message today is that it's time for all of us to dream big - to create greatness within ourselves, and for ourselves. I am thankful for the success of GeoCities and for having the financial wherewithal to make a concrete difference in the world. But we all continue face the same challenge: To maintain faith in ourselves when everything-around us suggests that we should do otherwise. And even more, to tell the truth about who you are, even when everyone around us would prefer that we remain quiet.

My success in business has opened doors I never dreamed possible. Influential political and business leaders ask me my opinion. I get invited to participate in forums debating important subjects. My voice, and, through me, I hope the voice of others, is heard. But what about you? What about your voice, your passion? I challenge each of you to pursue not just financial reward or career accomplishments, but to pursue your dreams, your passions, your true interests, and if you do that, with all your heart, I promise you that the financial success and the career goals will take care of themselves.

So I urge you, no, I implore you, all of you, to take what you have learned here at USC out into the world and make a difference. And not just when you become, as I expect all of you to be, successful. Not just when it is easy, or it is comfortable, or it is convenient.

I was 38 years old when I started GeoCities. I had had a career in the software business prior to that, having held a variety of positions in finance and accounting, as well as in operations and marketing. I'd worked for a number of companies, large and small, and had been exposed to a wide variety of industries and individuals. There are but a few business colleagues who stand out in my mind as having made a real impact on my thinking and on my approach to business. The common theme among these individuals was not necessarily their skills or expertise, although each was an expert in his or her field. The attributes each of these folks had in common was a true passion and commitment in what they were doing, and an incredible vision and drive to pursue what they believed in. What these people taught me was that true success in business is not learning how to read a financial statement or develop an e-commerce Web site, real and tangible success comes to those who follow their hearts as well as their minds. Finding that thing which you are passionate about above all else, and pursuing that activity which you love to do, these are the keys that unlock every door.

In closing, I am reminded of the story of the great French Marshal, who once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow-growing and would not reach maturity for a hundred years. The Marshal replied, "In that case, there is no time to lose; plant it this afternoon."
There is a world of challenges waiting for each one of you and you have no time to waste. I am honored to be here today, and I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you. There is no time to lose. Let us all go out and plant a forest of trees this afternoon.
Thank you very much.